The Lodge is situated in the Grey Valley, only 8 minutes drive east of central Greymouth … (on highway 7 towards Reefton, and then highway 69 to the Buller Gorge Swingbridge Adventure & Heritage Park – a premier attraction on the West Coast – https://bullergorge.co.nz/ ).
It is just a few minutes walk to the old workings of the historic Brunner Mine Site, where in 1896, 65 men lost their lives when a huge explosion rocked the mine.
(Click this link if you want to know more about the disaster at the mine, or follow this link to understand more about the impact such a tragedy would have had on the local region, and about its value as a heritage site.)
The Brunner Mine Industrial Site remains a place of national and international significance. It has recently been updated and re-developed as a heritage attraction.
The video on the left gives you a quick ‘virtual’ tour of the site or follow this link to watch it on YouTube.
Other things to do in the area
- Taylorville Swimming Hole – with large rocks and a deep pool. This is a refreshing way to spend a couple of hours
- A variety of local walks-(leaving from the lodge)
- Sewell Peak (3-4 hours return)
- St Kilda mine walk (90 mins return)
- Old Blackball road (90 mins return)
Other Places of Interest Nearby (car travel)
- Woods Creek walk (old gold tailings site)
- Point Elizabeth coastal walk
- Lake Brunner
- The new West Coast Cycle Trail
- Buller Gorge Swingbridge Adventure & Heritage Park https://bullergorge.co.nz/
Here is a link for a brief information page about Greymouth published by the NZ Herald.
If you want any other reasons why you should visit us here on the West Coast, ‘Lonely Planet’ has named the West Coast on their list of TOP 10 regions in the world tourists should visit. Visit this ‘NZ Herald’ article link for more information.